Meet Anshu, an Ethiopian spaza shop owner in Khayelitsha, who has been a TooMuchWifi customer for around three years. We interviewed him to find out more about his experience as a shop owner, what it’s like being a Hotspot for TooMuchWifi and how it benefits his shop, as well as the community of Khayelitsha.
- How long have you been in Khayelitsha? What inspired you to open a Spaza shop in the area?
I bought my current shop from a previous owner in 2015 and have been in Khayelitsha ever since. What I love about Khayelitsha is that it’s a safe area. I don’t feel threatened coming into work everyday. It’s also well supported by the community.
- How long have you been trading for?
I arrived in South Africa 5 years ago and have been working in communities since then. I’ve had shops and worked in Adelaide, Site C, and various other communities in Cape Town before settling in Khayelitsha.
- Tell us about your business: what are your products? Who are your customers? What do you offer them? What are your trading hours?
I love working in Khayelitsha! The people are welcoming and supportive of my shop. I sell produce such as eggs, fruit and vegetables, but most people buy the usual pantry foods, such as bread, flour, canned goods, spreads, etc. There are chips and chocolates in the shop as well for the kids. I like to stay open for as long as possible so people coming home from work can stop by and purchase whatever they need before going home.
- What does it take to keep your business going in a township setting?
My shop has been supported by the Khayelitsha community since I opened. I enjoy interacting with my customers, meeting new people and serving them and their family. I think staying open for longer hours and stocking the right products for the community helps keep my business going.
- How important is it to your business operation to be connected? Do you need to be connected 24/7?
Being connected to the internet allows my shop to operate more effectively and efficiently. With a reliable connection, I can purchase stock easier, make use of apps to assist in keeping track of finances and do stock take. I also enjoy streaming music in my shop to make the experience for customers more enjoyable.
- Why is it so important for people in the township to have access to affordable and reliable internet connectivity?
Internet is very expensive for people living in communities, so having a more affordable option is necessary. Being able to connect to the internet keeps us connected to the world. We are able to feel less out of touch with what is happening around us.
- For how long have you been a TooMuchWifi reseller? There are many ISPs out there. Why did you decide to partner with TMW specifically?
I have been a TooMuchWifi reseller for about three years. I decided to go with TooMuchWifi, over any other service provider, because the connection is great and the customer support I receive is good. The team always makes sure everything is going well and there are no issues.
- Why do you think people choose the TooMuchWifi Hotspot vouchers over other options?
The prices are better and you’re able to stay connected for longer. The vouchers are also easy to load so there aren’t many issues.
9. What do people in the township mostly use the Hotspot vouchers for?
People mostly use the Hotspot for social media and to connect with friends and family. The kids might use it for homework sometimes, but they enjoy looking up the latest trends and music.