Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
What we are looking for
A seasoned, dynamic, and visionary Commercial Executive who can effectively lead, strategise, and execute sales and marketing initiatives to drive growth and enhance our market presence in black and coloured South African townships and beyond. The ideal candidate will possess a unique blend of leadership prowess, strategic thinking, and hands-on experience in South African township communities to spearhead our commercial efforts.
About the role
The Chief Commercial Officer (CCO) is an executive position that reports directly to the CEO. This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-growing company whose main purpose is to provide equal and affordable access to internet connectivity in the communities of South Africa.
What you will be doing
- Create, develop, and implement commercial (sales, offline marketing, online marketing, partnerships, PR, branding, campaigns, B2B, SME, government projects) strategies to gain market share, accelerate growth and push expansion into new and existing markets aligned with company goals and objectives.
- Conduct in depth market research and analysis to contribute towards a detailed departmental plan on all commercial opportunities.
- Understand intuitively the customer and communities we serve qualitatively and quantitatively (i.e., demographics, behaviour, sensitivities, requirements, etc.) to ensure the strategy being executed meets the demand and expectations whilst staying on trend.
- Engage lovely, freely, and willingly with customers across multiple underserved and lower income communities nationally.
- Manage and retain key supplier, partner, VIP, and foundational customer relationships.
- Collaborate with and coordinate across all internal teams which consist of contact centre, software, staff relations, network, technical operations, community forum and finance.
- Acquire, develop, and maintain strategic partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Continuously manage and monitor the performance of commercial activities using detailed and industry leading standards and metrics.
- Provide input, relevant data and reporting for setting financial targets and budget development.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Bachelors in marketing, business administration, strategic management, sales, or a related field. A postgraduate level qualification is a plus.
- 10+ years’ total experience with at least 4 years in an executive position.
- Proven experience in spotting market trends in townships
- Proven experience in sales and marketing.
- Proven experience developing and managing strategic partnerships and relationships with key stakeholders.
- An exceptional and natural understanding and commercial awareness of black and coloured townships across South Africa. Experience working in the communities in a commercial role is a must.
- Experience in building out a commercial department which included at least sales, offline marketing, online marketing, partnerships, PR, branding, campaigns, B2B, SME, government projects.
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills managing at least 50 people.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- In-depth understanding of market research methods, strategy development and analysis.
- Solid knowledge of performance reporting and financial/budgeting processes.
- A clear go-getter, passionate about bringing underserved communities into the 4IR.
- Willing to work hard and long hours.